Sunday, September 4, 2011

My first 5k!!!

Today I ran my first competitive race... it was only a 5k but I'm still very proud for getting myself out there and finishing hard.  My time was 32:33 which isn't the best but I've also only been training for about 2 weeks. 

My wound officially healed on September 1, 2011.  That was the first day that there was no drainage and a scab had formed over the last little bit of opening.  Of course, I am still recovering from poison ivy that I picked up last weekend, trying to help my mother clean up her yard.... and I've got a nasty cold from the change in weather BUT... MY WOUNDS ARE HEALED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!   =) =) =)

I joined a running club called Road Warriors and there were 5 of us that showed up for the 5k today.  The others came right up to me and started chatting like we had been old friends.  It was great to feel I was a part of a group and had support from them when I was brand new and it was my first race.  About half way through the race everyone was spread out so I was running alone... it was peaceful and so awesome.  We had all kinds of terrain, too.  I was running in grass, gravel, dirt and uneven country roads LOL  My goal was to finish in 30 minutes but I'll take 32 =)  Next week there is a race (5k) at Scott Air Force Base in southern IL.  I will be attending that one... it's in remembrance of 9/11... I'll be really happy to be a part of it!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to send you a congratulations. You have waited so long to be healed. I am very happy for you and look forward to reading about your future accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon. mommy makeovers

    ReplyDelete